Spoiler Warning

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

This blog is about the games that I am currently playing. I will discuss story, character events, and anything else that catches my interest as they happen.

This blog is not intended to be a walkthrough or to be a place for tips/tricks. These may get mentioned during my ramblings, but that is not the purpose of this blog.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Choices Are Good


JUST HOLD THE DAMN CAMERA STEADY!!! It’s really not that hard and it will help me enjoy the game that much more. Instead that camera has to constantly wiggle, or randomly move out. If it would just stay still it would make things so much more enjoyable.

I will now take a moment to praise the level design. It’s actually fun to get lost. Most games like this are pretty straight forward and while Castlevania has its moments, there are also moments when you can choose multiple paths to follow to reach your destination. Sure the paths always converge on the same spot but it’s nice to know you have the option. The Final Fantasy XIII-2 crew could learn from this.

I want to note that Gabriel’s health does not automatically restore. You have to find special health fonts to restore it. These fonts are not that common, so taking hits is a very bad thing. I had to learn this the hard way. I had trudged through the Dead Bog and had found Gabriel’s first equipment upgrade, a hookshot for his whip. After this section you fight a Swamp Troll. This counts as a boss fight and it taught me how to fight more than any other enemy/tutorial in the game. I also realized I only had about 1/3 of my life left. I had to learn to not button mash my way through a combo. The Troll will suffer some knockback, but he’ll recover and quickly get to Gabriel and smack the guy around some. When you only have 1/3 of your health this will cause you to die. Dying is just sad since this isn’t really a hard boss fight, but what killed me the most was failing to execute the kill animation. The troll would be stunned, Gabriel would grab him and then I would mess up the circle Quick Time event.  I messed it up a lot and with only 1/3 of my health (or less) the troll’s counter attack would typically kill me.

But I eventually got it right and won. Then it was on to the Lake Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment