Spoiler Warning

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

This blog is about the games that I am currently playing. I will discuss story, character events, and anything else that catches my interest as they happen.

This blog is not intended to be a walkthrough or to be a place for tips/tricks. These may get mentioned during my ramblings, but that is not the purpose of this blog.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

God of War II - Backtracking Stikes Back!

First I'm going to gripe about the tutorials in this game. At first I thought they would be better handled then they were in the first game. The first tutorials did not show up after I had already killed people, they showed up before, that was very promising. But then things quickly deteriorated. I received tutorials for the Pegasus long after I was already using abilities like the dash and the dodge buttons. I got stuck in this stupid Temple of Lahkesis where I had to pick up a body and use it as a weight. The tutorial for this appeared after I had picked up the body. On an amusing note, this is the first game to  tell me that a tutorial message was a tutorial message. Sure it was like the eighth tutorial in, but it's the thought that counts.

So Kratos just climbed out of Hades (again) and I can now ride a magical Pegasus. Woot! But first I talked to some guard guy from the Spartan army and told him to get ready for war. I wonder if I could have skipped that part and if it would have made a difference? So I jump on the Pegasus and I get treated to a flying level, oh what fun. I get to kill gryphons! So far I do enjoy the flying levels, they are fairly well done and give a good sense of speed and action. I just wish it had a fleshed out tutorial section. I discovered the dash attack on accident and the whole thing with the giant raven didn't make much sense.

So the Pegasus stops off at this ice cave since that's where Gaia sent us. I have to do something here, but I'm not sure what. My Pegasus gets stuck under the fingers of a giant ice looking Titan named Typhon. I'm told I have to free the Pegasus. So I attack Typhon's fingers for at least 10 minutes before I go to Gamefaqs to get some help. Apparently there's a part of a nearby wall that has a slightly different texture that I can climb. I don't know when I would have noticed it.

So I run around the island until I find a man tied chained to a giant hand being eaten by a bird. Kratos seems to know who this is but I don't (apparently it's the Titan Prometheus). This guy has been turned into a human and he's eaten by a bird every day until he dies and then his body restores itself and the cycle happens again. There's a cool scene where the guy dies and his body repairs itself. It actually shows organs and such. Very impressive, but I don't know what to do with him. So I do the same thing I do to every new person Kratos meets, I attack him. Eventually the chain kinda breaks and the former Titan ends up dangling from the chain begging Kratos to kill him.

Again I was confused. Do I kill him, save him, or do I need to leave him for a little? Turns out I need to leave him. I make my way to the ice Titan and a pseudo boss fight occurs. It's not a real fight, I apparently have to steal a bow and arrow set from his eye while he tries to blow me off a cliff. This if better handled than the Hydra fight from the first game. I steal the bow and arrow and make my way back to Prometheus. This means backtracking. Thankfully this is also handled better then the last game. Kratos is able to find new ways to go back that shortens the travel time.

I make it back to Prometheus and I shoot him with my bow and arrow until he falls into a fire. The fire now gives Kratos power and I now have the Wrath of the Titans ability. Similar to the Wrath of the Gods from the last game, but it fills up a lot faster so I can use it more often. Turns out that I can also turn it off and save any remaining energy for later.

I make my way back to the ice Titan's hand and using the Wrath of the Titans ability I force his hand to move, freeing the Pegasus. Then Kratos hops on the Pegasus and we fly away from this awful place. I guess I came here to get the Wrath of the Titans ability. Another cool flight section occurs and we end up at the Temple of Lahkeisis, or something like that.

At first things seemed straight forward until I couldn't get through this double gate. The first gate kept closing to quickly. Turns out I needed to grab some corpse and place it on the switch. I had to go to Gamefaqs for this one too. Sadly I had already destroyed all of the dangling skeletons just for kicks and I had no idea that one of them was a corpse that had fallen to the ground and that I was supposed to grab it.

Continuing on we learn Zeus' backstory, but I'll cover that next time. I also encounter a Cerberus, seems to be a different breed from last game. It's a much easier fight since the little ones are not evolving into full-grown Cerberus yet. That's where I currently am.

Next time: Zeus's backstory and whatever I happen to play next.

No comments:

Post a Comment