Spoiler Warning

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

This blog is about the games that I am currently playing. I will discuss story, character events, and anything else that catches my interest as they happen.

This blog is not intended to be a walkthrough or to be a place for tips/tricks. These may get mentioned during my ramblings, but that is not the purpose of this blog.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Assassin's Creed III: The Super Secret Character

Assassin's Creed III is a third person sandbox stealth/action adventure game. I can't really think of any better way to categorize the game then that. As far as I can tell it was developed and published by Ubisoft. It wass released Oct. 2012. Assassin's Creed III follows the story of Ratonhnhaké:ton, a half Native American/ half British character. We follow him by viewing the memories of one Desmond Miles through his use of the machine called the Animus. A device which allows you to relive the memories of your ancestors, and boy does Desmond have a lot of mixed blood.

But first the game has to pull a fast one on you! All of the pre-game press for this game talked about the character Ratonhnhaké:ton (aka Connor). But when you first play you are dropped behind the guise of Nathan Kenway. Wait, his name is Haytham? I always thought it was Nathan. Well glad I got that out of the way.

So we start the game playing Desmond for a little as the backstory of the series is laid out for you. I got to admit that the backstory of Assassin's Creed is more then a little confusing. Especially when they decided to involve space aliens but this one has gone and tied the whole game to the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy. Good thing I started playing the game now before the world ends.

Shortly after the intro Desmond passes out and his dick of a dad shoves him into the Animus to learn what he's thinking about. It's somehow related to these space aliens. One space alien tries to guide the Assassin's and I guess the other one guides the Assassin's mortal enemies, the Templars. Space aliens have kind of sucked the fun out of the backstory for me, I'll be honest.

Anyways once in the Animus we meet Desmond's ancestor Haytham. Haytham is a very proper British man-of-action type character. We follow him from England to the American colonies where Haytham is on a quest to find a secret cave of the Precursors (the space aliens). Once in America Haytham recruits a team of characters to help him with his quest. This eventually includes the Native American woman Kaniehtí:io (Ziio).

I'm not going to go to much into his story as it is a very quick portion of the game (2 - 3 hours if you don't do sidequests) but I will talk about the big twist! As you follow Haytham around you never for a moment suspect that he is anything but an Assassin. He climbs buildings, uses a hidden dagger and has the eagle vision. Everything about him screams Assassin.

After Haytham finds the cave of the Precursors, fails to find a way in and greatly frustrating him he spends a night with Ziio. I really start to feel sorry for Desmond, he's had to relieve all of his ancestor's having sex at some point in there life. That has to be like some major creepy version of walking in on your parents or something. The poor guy would probably be scarred if he had a personality. Anyways Haytham goes back to his merry band of men and they induct a new member into their order. I was expecting this guy's finger off. Instead they put a ring on his finger and declare his a Templar! Shock and amaze! Desmond has more Templar blood in him!

Now I really didn't see this coming so kudos to Ubisoft for pulling it off. But it's not a big deal for Desmond since Altair's wife Maria was a Templar as well. The difference is that Haytham remains with the Templar's while Maria eventually left them.

So that was the big plot twist. I think Ubisoft was trying to make Haytham a little more engaging of a character by having you play him for a bit. All it ever really does is annoy me though. I didn't like playing as Roxas in Kingdom Hearts II. I kept waiting to get to Sora since he was the character I cared about. I didn't like playing as the Arbiter in Halo. Again, I kept wanting to get back to Master Chief. So I can say that I'm not a fan. I wanted to play as Connor. But now that I've got the chance to play as Connor I may regret that.

No comments:

Post a Comment