Spoiler Warning

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

This blog is about the games that I am currently playing. I will discuss story, character events, and anything else that catches my interest as they happen.

This blog is not intended to be a walkthrough or to be a place for tips/tricks. These may get mentioned during my ramblings, but that is not the purpose of this blog.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dynasty Warriors 7 - For Great Justice!

Dynasty Warriors 7 was released for the PS3 in March of 2011. Developed by  Omega-Force, it is a Hack 'N Slash title. You play as one of the many warriors during the Three Kingdoms era of Ancient China. This is my first time playing through. I'm playing the Story Mode on Normal.

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 7 recently, having put Red Dead Redemption on hold. I'm a big Dynasty Warriors fan, but for me the series peaked at number 5. 6 was a huge let down having tried to make things more "realistic" really took away from the over-the-top nature of the game. Plus changes to character personalities, weapon sets and exceptionally boring combat with the Renbu system did nothing to help. 7 attempts to correct that by going back to the old Charge system combat.

Dynasty Warriors has never had the deepest combat system in the world. I've always enjoyed for it's easy to "pick-up and play" nature. Plus the large cast has allowed for some diverse gameplay. Dynasty Warriors 6 decided to throw out the series good points and actually managed to dumb the series down. It introduced the Renbu system of combat. What this really meant is that you just pushed one button repeatedly as a bar built up. Once the bar maxed out you gained a "level" and your one button combo would be extended a few more hits. This was really aggravating and made the game insanely un-fun. And for big fans like me that's actually hard to do.

Dynasty Warriors 7 brings back the old Charge System for combat. Basically you press the Square button and then throw in a bigger attack with the Triangle button. This can actually make for some fun attacks/combos during combat. I'm glad it's back. But there is one major issue with it this time. Every character can now equip any weapon in the game. This means that every weapon now has the same basic attack setup instead of having unique combos for each character. It's not a turn off for me, but I would rather have each character with a dedicated weapon/moveset.

On top of that you can actually equip two weapons per character now. It's a nice though, but I hardly use the second weapon unless I'm trying to unlock skills associated with it. Then I'll use it only until I've maxed out the skill then switch back to my first weapon.

Alright, I've played a lot of the game already so my next post will be talking about the story mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment